The Gastro-Intestinal Viral Oncology Group was set up in 2011 and the founding members were Professor Shan Rajendra and Dr. Bin Wang. Dr. Darren Pavey was invited to join the Group in 2012.
Aims of the Group are to investigate the role of human papillomavirus in premalignant and cancerous lesions of the oesophagus i.e. the Barrett’s metaplasia-dysplasia-adenocarcinoma sequence.
Major projects undertaken are outlined in the publications and achievements below.
The Group are now concentrating their efforts on translating their findings into daily clinical practice and eradication of the virus in an effort to prevent progression of pre-cancerous oesophageal lesions to frank malignancy.
C1 - Journal Article
- Parameshwaran, K; Sharma, P; Rajendra, S; Stelzer-Braid, S; Xuan, W; Rawlinson, WD 2019, "Circulating human papillomavirus DNA detection in Barrett's dysplasia and esophageal adenocarcinoma.", Dis Esophagus
- Rajendra, S; Sharma, P 2019, "Transforming human papillomavirus infection and the esophageal transformation zone: prime time for total excision/ablative therapy?", Diseases of the esophagus : official journal of the International Society for Diseases of the Esophagus, vol. 32, no. 7
- Rajendra, shan; Wei, xuan; Merrett, Neil 2018, "Survival Rates for Patients With Barrett High-grade Dysplasia and Esophageal Adenocarcinoma With or Without Human Papillomavirus Infection", JAMA network open, vol. JAMA Network Open. 2018;1(4):e181054.
- Wong, MYW; Wang, B; Yang, A; Khor, A; Xuan, W; Rajendra, S 2018, "Human papillomavirus exposure and sexual behavior are significant risk factors for Barrett's dysplasia/esophageal adenocarcinoma", Diseases of the Esophagus, vol. 31, no. 12
- El-Zimaity, H; Di Pilato, V; Ringressi, MN; Brcic, I; Rajendra, S; Langer, R; Dislich, B; Tripathi, M; Guindi, M; Riddell, R 2018, "Risk factors for esophageal cancer: Emphasis on infectious agents", vol. 1434, no. 1, pp. 319-332
- Rajendra, S; Sharma, P 2017, "Barrett Esophagus and Intramucosal Esophageal Adenocarcinoma", vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 409-426
- Rajendra S; Sharma P 2017, Barrett Esophagus and Intramucosal Esophageal Adenocarcinoma, Hematology-Oncology Clinics of North America
- Rajendra S; Yang T; Xuan W; Sharma P; Pavey D; Lee CS; Le S; Collins J; Wang B 2017, Active human papillomavirus involvement in Barrett's dysplasia and oesophageal adenocarcinoma is characterized by wild-type p53 and aberrations of the retinoblastoma protein pathway, International Journal of Cancer
- Antonsson, A; Knight, L; Whiteman, DC 2016, "Human papillomavirus not detected in esophageal adenocarcinoma tumor specimens-Reply", Cancer Epidemiology, vol. 43, p. 120
- Rajendra S, Wang B, Merrett N, Sharma P, Humphris J, Lee HC, Wu J 2016, "Genomic analysis of HPV-positive versus HPV-negative oesophageal adenocarcinoma identifies a differential mutational landscape.", Journal of Medical Genetics, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 227-231
- Rajendra S; Wang B 2016, Human papillomavirus not detected in esophageal adenocarcinoma tumor specimens-Letter, Cancer Epidemiology
- Shanmugarajah Rajendra, Bin Wang, Neil D. Merrett, Prateek Sharma, Jeremy L. Humphris, Hongching Lee, Jianmin Wu 2015, "Genomic analysis of HPV-positive versus HPV-negative oesophageal adenocarcinoma identifies a differential mutational landscape", Journal of Medical Genetics, BMJ Group, U.K., vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 227-231
- Shanmugarajah Rajendra, Bin Wang, Darren Pavey, Prateek Sharma, Tao Yang, Cheok Soon Lee, Neil Gupta, Madeleine J. Ball, Raghubinder S. Gill, Xiaojuan Wu 2015, "Persistence of human papillomavirus, overexpression of p53 and outcomes of patients after endoscopic ablation of Barrett's esophagus", Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, W. B. Saunders, U.S., vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 1364-1368
- Rajendra S 2015, "Barrett's oesophagus: Can meaningful screening and surveillance guidelines be formulated based on new data and rejigging the old paradigm?", Best Practice and Research: Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 65-75
- Whiteman DC, Appleyard M, Bahin FF, Bobryshev YV, Bourke MJ, Brown I, Chung A, Clouston A, Dickins E, Emery J, Eslick GD, Gordon LG, Grimpen F, Hebbard G, Holliday L, Hourigan LF, Kendall BJ, Lee EYT, Levert-Mignon A, Lord RV, Lord SJ, Maule D, Moss A, Norton I, Olver I, Pavey D, Raftopoulos S, Rajendra S, Schoeman M, Singh R, Sitas F, Smithers BM, Taylor AC, Thomas ML, Thomson I, To H, von Dincklage J, Vuletich C, Watson DI, Yusoff IF 2015, "Australian clinical practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of Barrett's esophagus and early esophageal adenocarcinoma", Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 804-820
- Rajendra S, Sharma P 2014, "Barrett's Esophagus.", Current Treatment Options in Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 169-182
- Wang B; Rajendra S; Pavey D; Sharma P; Merrett N; Wu X; Snow ET; Kumbhari V; Ball MJ; Robertson IK 2013, Viral load and integration status of high-risk human papillomaviruses in the barrett's metaplasia-dysplasia-adenocarcinoma sequence, American Journal of Gastroenterology
- Rajendra S; Sharma P 2012, Management of Barrett's oesophagus and intramucosal oesophageal cancer: A review of recent development, Therapeutic Advances in Gastroenterology, SAGE Journals
- Rajendra, S; Sharma, P 2012, "Management of Barrett's oesophagus and intramucosal oesophageal cancer: A review of recent development", Therapeutic Advances in Gastroenterology, SAGE Journals, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 285-299
- Rajendra, S 2011, "Barrett's oesophagus in Asians - are ethnic differences due to genes or the environment?", Journal of Internal Medicine, Blackwell Publishing Ltd, vol. 270, no. 5, pp. 421-427
- Rajendra, S; Sharma, P 2011, "Barrett's esophagus and cancer risk: a more realistic estimate", Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Elsevier Inc, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 261-262
- Rajendra S 2011, Barrett's oesophagus in Asians - are ethnic differences due to genes or the environment?, Journal of Internal Medicine, Blackwell Publishing Ltd
- Rajendra S; Sharma P 2011, Barrett's esophagus and cancer risk: a more realistic estimate, Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Elsevier Inc
- Rajendra S; Robertson IK 2010, Similar immunogenetics of Barrett's oesophagus and cervical neoplasia: Is HPV the common denominator?, Journal of Clinical Pathology
- Rajendra, S; Robertson, IK 2010, "Similar immunogenetics of Barrett's oesophagus and cervical neoplasia: Is HPV the common denominator?", Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 1-3
E1 - Conference Abstract
- Al-Haddad S; El-Zimaity H; Hafezi-Bakhtiari S; Rajendra S; Streutker CJ; Vajpeyi R; Wang B 2014, "Infection and esophageal cancer", vol. 1325, no. 1, pp. 187-196
- Chandran S; Middleton C; Mitchell B; Rajendra S 2010, A regional experience of oriental cholangiohepatitis, WILEY-BLACKWELL PUBLISHING, INC, vol. 25, p. A21
- Chandran S; Middleton C; Mitchell B; Rajendra S 2010, A registrar's perspective on gastroenterology advanced training in regional Australia, WILEY-BLACKWELL PUBLISHING, INC, vol. 25, pp. A21-A22
- Chandran S; Middleton C; Mitchell B; Rajendra S 2010, A look back at collagenous colitis: a 17-year retrospective study, WILEY-BLACKWELL PUBLISHING, INC, vol. 25, p. A22